Mackerel is a fish of the same family as tuna. But it is way less expansive (only 6 euro for 1 kg), it is very rich in omega 3, and absolutely delicious.
The first time I bought it I was very scared by the smell, which seemed too strong for me! But believed me, once cooked it tastes very good.
All I did was:
- put the fish skin-down on a plate and soak with 1 lemon juice all over. Wrap with plastic paper and let it rest in the fridge for as long as you can. ( I did it for 6 hours)
- When it’s time for dinner, put a no-stick pan on a high heat to get really hot.
- In the meantime chop some parsley together with 1 clove of garlic, very finely.
- Put the parsley-garlic all over the fish, sprinkle some chilly flakes and salt to taste.
- Put the fish skin-side down on the hot pan and cook until the skin is crunchy and the fish is cooked.
I served with cabbage and fennel salad.
- Slice the cabbage very very thin and do the same with the fennel
- salt, lemon, black pepper and olive oil to taste!