Mackerel is a fish of the same family as tuna. But it is way less expansive (only 6 euro for 1 kg), it is very rich in omega 3, and absolutely delicious.
The first time I bought it I was very scared by the smell, which seemed too strong for me! But believed me, once cooked it tastes very good.
All I did was:
- put the fish skin-down on a plate and soak with 1 lemon juice all over. Wrap with plastic paper and let it rest in the fridge for as long as you can. ( I did it for 6 hours)
- When it’s time for dinner, put a no-stick pan on a high heat to get really hot.
- In the meantime chop some parsley together with 1 clove of garlic, very finely.
- Put the parsley-garlic all over the fish, sprinkle some chilly flakes and salt to taste.
- Put the fish skin-side down on the hot pan and cook until the skin is crunchy and the fish is cooked.
I served with cabbage and fennel salad.
- Slice the cabbage very very thin and do the same with the fennel
- salt, lemon, black pepper and olive oil to taste!
Fish is so good and so healthy we all should eat it more often.
I like just fresh fish but I don’t have time to go to the fish market everyday ….So I usually eat it only once at week, twice if I’m lucky.
Today was one of the lucky days… This recipe is sooooo easy, healthy end fast that everyone loves it.
For 2 people:
Chop very finely half gold onion and let it sautèe with 1 tsp of extravirgin olive oil.
Cut 5 cherry tomatoes in half and add to the pan, after a minute or two add some brandy and let it evaporates (that will help to caramelized the onions and the tomatoes)
Add the fish fillet and 3 or 4 tpsb of water.
Add the mix herbs ( fennel seeds, thyme, garlic powder, ground rosemary)
Cover and let it cook for not more then 10 minutes.
Once is ready add some fresh chopped basil, salt, pepper.
Yesterday I had a couple of friends coming over for dinner and they asked me to eat healthy ’cause they are on diet…
As usual I was in a hurry and this time with no idea of what to cook …While I was at the supermarket I sow a beautifull fillet of salmone and so I decided to go for it! yeah it is a fat fish, but it’s omega3 which is good….
here is the recipe…
1) prepare the marinade:
3 tsb balsamic vinegar, 3 tsb soy sauce, half lemon squeezed, few drops of worcestershire sauce, and mixed aromatics herbs (I have a mix of sauge, rosmery and fennil) be generous with herbs!
2) about 1 hour and half before dinner I have cut salmon into little cubes and put those peaces into the marined .
Once you are ready to prepare dinner …
3) Cook the cous cous according to the packing directions
4) prepare the vegetables: you can use froozen one or cook it yourself….that’s your choise! I use to cook them by myself in big amount and then freeze it. For this recipe I chose Peppers and zucchini
I peeled red peppers helping myself with a potatoes peeler and I have cut it into little pieces (in this way they will take less time to be cooked)
Cut the zucchini into little pieces as well .
Put the vegetables in a sauce pan with a little of oil and a couple of tsb of water and cook until tender. Mix to the cous cous.
5) put the salmon on the skewers and cook on a griddle….be carefull it cooks very fast and doesn’t have to be overcooked!